Police officers in Ondo state have been accused of refusing to help worshippers during yesterday's attack at a catholic church in the state.
A former Information and Orientation Commissioner in Ondo State, Donald Ojogo made the allegation saying the police are partly to blame for the number of death recorded in the gruesome attack on the St. Patrick Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo-State on Sunday.
According to Punch, he also said explosives were used in the attack on a church that led to many deaths and injuries to several people.
“There is clear evidence that explosives were also used in the attack,” the former commissioner told Channels Television on Monday. He added that some of the survivors disclosed that while they were running outside, as a result of the explosives, the criminals were shooting at them.
“So, it was at the cause of the stampede that most of these persons died.” He said the number of persons who have died as of Sunday was 21, noting that many others are on the “danger list”. Ojogo also faulted police operatives for not responding on time, saying the nearest police station was a few metres away.
“The nearest police station to that place is two km. There is a police station not far from the Olowo palace and this happened not far from the palace,” Ojogo said.
“These gunmen shot for more than 20 minutes and the police didn't show up. This is the reason we need state police.” Meanwhile, the national leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC Bola Tinubu on Monday visited Owo in Ondo State where over 30 Catholic church worshippers were killed by gunmen.
Tinubu, one of the APC presidential aspirants, visited the place and donated N50 million to aid the treatment of the victims. The Asiwaju of Lagos also donated N25 million to the Catholic Church where the incident happened.
- “Go and collect your money back” – Netizens react as Toke Makinwa shows off her enhanced derriere (video)
- Rapper Cheque blasts organizers of ‘Headies Award Show’ after he didn’t get nominated in any category.
- “I hate him”, “I hate her” Co-parents stir massive reactions online with family photo
- Jealous man allegedly kills his ex-girlfriend for refusing to eject her new lover from her home
- Couple Goals! Actress Mercy Aigbe gives husband, Kazim Adeoti clean haircut (video)
- Davido allows babymama, Sophia Momodu to step out with his Bentley
- Osinachi Nwachukwu: Family Announce Funeral Arrangement, Hints On Returning Her Bride Price
- Portable tenders apology to Headies organizers after being reported to Police over threat to co-nominees (Video)
- Drama as Tonto Dikeh pens open letter to Bobrisky for backing Kemi Olunloyo
- Osas Ighodaro called out for allegedly sleeping with married colleague, Stan Nze
- “Behind every unsuccessful man, there are two women” – Annie Idibia throws jab after unfollowing 2face (Video)
- Kanayo Kanayo Celebrates 60th Birthday With All-White Party [Video]
- “I am one ‘hell’ of a woman”- Annie Idibia shares cryptic post, admits marital troubles with husband, 2face
- “Igbo girls are beautiful”-Fans react to Davido’s babymama, Chioma’s natural look as she hits gym in video
- Actress OnyiAlexx shares CCTV footage showing moment NDLEA officials invaded her house “without warrant” (video)
- “I am praying for you” – Davido reacts as Kizz Daniel shares cryptic post
- “It’s ‘Launch’, princess not ‘Lunch’” – Netizens drag James Brown over spelling error following his book launch
- “These moments before my departure …” – Panic as Monalisa Stephen pens disturbing note
- White Lady Gives Tips On How To Outsmart ‘Yahoo Boys” (Video)
- ‘Betraying Nigeria as a celebrity is highly selfish, cruel’ – Opeyemi Aiyeola joins Regina Chukwu in attacking their ‘greedy colleagues’